Sunday, June 30, 2013

Facebook Faux Pas

Let me start by saying that I know my husband loves me, but courtesy of Facebook my allusion that he only had eyes for me has been shattered. Before this age of instant communication and global connection, there wasn't a record of every stupid thing you said or looked at. With Facebook and similar networking sites there is a record of deeds documented for all the world to see and if you're friends with your spouse (which I think you should be) you see them too!

So, my husband commented on another woman's Facebook page about liking her new haircut.  I know this is soooo high school, but when it showed up on my newsfeed that he liked her long hair my feelings were hurt. I don't know this woman, she's not a mutual friend but a video game blogger who probably has a lot more in common with him then I do. The only video game I play is Candy Crush and I fail to understand the draw to rpg/mmo, or whatever the hell they call those create a character and go on quest games with people you don't know.

If this had happened in real life, I (a) would not have been present to know he'd made such a comment or (b) been present and given him "the look" where he would of responded with one of two things: I'm beautiful or I'm the only one for him. Both go a long way in soothing ruffled feathers, but Facebook doesn't allow for such interactions so I got my feathers ruffled. This would be a Facebook faux pas that I'm positive my husband will roll his eyes and tell me I'm being ridiculous,  which is probably true.

I could unfriend my husband on Facebook so I didn't need to see such posts. I could spend the next two years growing out my hair since he "liked" long hair in his comment but tells me he likes mine short. I could learn to play whatever video game he's playing but realistically that would probably take another five years to learn and I can think of about a hundred other things I'd rather learn! What will happen is I'll tell my husband it hurt my feelings for no real good reason, workout and go on a diet to address my own insecurities and shop for a new outfit that I can post onto Facebook so my dear husband can comment away in a wife appoved way!

No comments:

Post a Comment