Monday, July 30, 2012

Really?

Sometimes when you have been doing the same thing for the last 15 years, there isn't much that surprises you.  You think you have experienced most possible things that could happen and that you know how to effectively deal with said things.  Every once in awhile though, you get thrown a curve ball that you didn't see coming.  Something, or someone, smacks you so hard you thought you got hit with a baseball.  Your mouth hangs open and the words refuse to come out of your mouth.  All you can do is just sit there and ask in your head, "REALLY?  WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!"

I don't have too many of those days.  I'm usually pretty good at reading other people and surmising what they are thinking.  I've learned through many years of working with kids that you never ask a question that you really don't want the answer to.  Sometimes I ask the question any way, because I like the entertainment and story material it provides.  Most times I don't ask those questions and keep the expected answers to myself.  It's better for everyone if I don't add the running commentary in my head to an already strange situation.  I assure you though that the running commentary is very entertaining.  I process a lot in my head before I actually take action, or open my mouth.  This is probably a revelation to most of the people that know me because I'm one of those people that you don't ask a question, or opinion of, if you didn't want to hear a long story and the truth as you see it.

Today was one of those days that just left me with more questions, no answers, and my mouth hanging open.  The first day back to work after a long break usually has this effect on me.  For instance things that ran through my head that fit in the "REALLY?" moment:  Did she really think that matched when she dressed herself this morning (Yes, Joise, I'm talking to you). You ate what before practice?  How's that look a second time around?  You've been where all summer (yes I'm jealous of all your neat travels while I have been home, or in the gym). Did I hear that correctly, you want me to stay til when?  How is it that all the groceries are gone and there is not a stapler to be found? What?  You just said WHAT? (today I really didn't understand a whole bunch, I'm going to chalk that up to recovering from a particularly bad migraine this morning). So if you have a REALLY? type moment, please know that REALLY? I'm having one of those too!

No comments:

Post a Comment