Saturday, July 7, 2012

Shopping For Running Gear

One of my favorite things to do is shop for running gear.  In fact, if given the choice I'd willingly walk around in high tech, dry fit spandex pants and tops.  I have a really soft spot for long sleeve shirts and warm up jackets.  I love my Nike running shorts and have lived in them all summer.  My darling husband on the other hand does not feel the same way. Until last night he owned no running gear except his Nike running shoes (bought last year when I got fitted by professionals for my first pair of real running shoes).  Brian holds on to tee shirts and jeans forever! He has tee shirts older than our oldest whose 16. Once he finds something he likes he buy ten of them and wears them until they fall apart.

Brian also has issues with how much running gear costs. Why pay 100.00 for a pair of shoes when you can go down to Wal-Mart and but a pair for 20.00? Why do you need a new pair of 100.00 running shoes when you've only run 400 miles in them? Does dry fit really do anything special that a cotton tee shirt can't do? After all, humans have been wearing cotton for how many centuries? Yes dear all, very valid arguments until you try to walk or walk/run in 90 degree heat! Working in an unconditioned warehouse has helped squash these arguments as of late and Brian has come to the dark side of dry fit, spandex and ventilated hats, shirts and shorts due to his need to stay cool and not die from heat exhaustion and chaffing in the warehouse.

When we went shopping last night, two things struck me that I had not considered in my own shopping for running apparel. First, running apparel is not made for out of shape, larger people. Second, men's running apparel is cheaper than women's running apparel. The cost thing was a mild irritation that I have observed before when shopping for school clothes for the kids.  I can outfit two of the boys for the cost of three of Josie's outfits. The making of running apparel on the other hand was a shocker.

See, I'm not big, and other than when I was pregnant, I've never been big.  I haven't really had to worry about weight gain and other than some stretch marks I'm pretty well preserved for 37. Brian on the other hand is bigger than he was before we got married.  Often we joke that when I got pregnant, he got pregnant too, but never lost the baby weight.  The weight doesn't bother me because I don't have to carry it around and I think it lets other people know his wife can cook. Last night Brian tried on every piece of gear Under Armour had and with good reason.  Running apparel is apparently not made for people who are trying to get in shape, but for people who are already in shape. I think companies would make a lot more money if they came up with a line of clothes for people who aspire to be in shape instead of catering to people like me.  Brian looked for garments that did not accentuate his stomach and felt comfortable. We left with one pair of shorts, one pair of compression shorts and two shirts. Due to Brian's cost analyst of running gear we left Under Armour with only 63.00 dollars in damage. For me that's a pair of shorts and a cheap sports bra! I'm just a little bit jealous. While he wasn't necessarily comfortable with how he looks in his new gear, he is happy with the price! Hopefully he'll be happy with the outcomes of our training too!


Steff

No comments:

Post a Comment