Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bad Hair Days

I have a love hate relationship with my hair. I try not to fight with it, but sometimes my hair just revolts to the weather, the hair dryer, new shampoo and hair dressers.  My hair has liked two hairdressers in the last ten years. The first one was Shannon.  My hair would let her do whatever it wanted.  Cut it ultra short? Sure! Blonde highlights? Fantastic! Part to the right instead of the left? If you say so Shannon.  Shannon moved to Florida three years ago. My hair was very upset about her departure and showed it's anger by producing cowlicks in three of four places.  It started to sprout sliver streaks and certain sections are bone straight, while some have beautiful waves.  In other words, my hair was a hot mess because it missed it's favorite hair dresser.  In an attempt to pacify my depressed and angry hair, I even went to Shannon's old salon for a few months.  My hair and I sat with the new hairdresser in Shannon's old room and chair, but my hair would not be fooled.  The new girl was not a bad hairdresser, but my hair really couldn't get past the blue streaks, face piercings and funky layers the hair dresser had. Every day I looked in the mirror, my hair would shout back, "How could you let that freak touch me! Did you see those blue streaks and hair sticking up all over the place? I'm not doing anything but flip out and stick up until Shannon comes back, or you find me a stylist I approve of!"

Enter Jimmy! I happened on Jimmy the hair stylist when I took Stephen to have his head shaved for ROTC.  Jimmy works at one of those strip mall, chain salons.  Jimmy looks like an x-gang banger.  His pants sag a little to low, he's all tatted up and he's a big guy.  As my hair and I had gotten to a point where I was willing to have my head shaved and try to start our relationship over, I told Jimmy I'd have what Stephen was having.  Jimmy looked at me a little funny and told me that he knew he could do something classy with my hair.  I was a little worried that my hair would have another reaction like it did to blue streak girl, but as Jimmy gave a fantastic scalp massage, it's resistance to change subsided. As Jimmy told me everything he was doing to my hair, my hair finally was subdued into submission! Thank God for Jimmy the hairdresser!

There is one problem with Jimmy the hairdresser.  Sadly, he does not always work near a chain hair salon near me.  I have to drop in, usually on Wednesdays becuase that's his day at the salon on my way home from work.  This summer, he's been on vacation and working at an undisclosed location in Atlanta.  He should be back the first of August.  My hair is NOT HAPPY! Today, I had to get my bangs trimmed because they were at the end of my nose waiting on Jimmy's return.  My hair once again is revolting with a very bad hair day, just in time for Open House, try outs and the first day of school! Hopefully Jimmy will work a Saturday the first week of August to sooth the wounds from my hair's experience today with it's trim!

No comments:

Post a Comment