Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What This Coach Looks for in an Athlete

I get the question all the time from, parents, other coaches, and athletes: "What are you looking for in an athlete?" Other wise worded, "How do I make your team?" Some people don't ask me directly, they'll ask former players, or parents. I have even had kids and parents ask my children what I look for in athletes. I think it's finally time to end the mystery.

First, every coach is different in what they want in an athlete, but I don't know any coaches that base their decisions on team selection entirely on athletic ability. I know that I don't.  There is so much more to athletic competition than raw talent. The first thing I look for is HEART!  Do you care? Do you care about other people on your team? Do you care about your coach? Do you care about the game and are willing to wear your love for your team, your coach and the game on your sleeve? When the score is 20-2, and your the two, do you still play as if the score is 20-20 because you have heart.  If you answer yes and your that kind of athlete, 50% of your battle to make my team is won.

Second, do you listen? This is otherwise known in the coaching world as, "Is the athlete coachable?" You can be the best athlete in the world, but if you can't listen to me or your teammates, than your athletic ability really doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  I'll spend more time trying to get you to follow directions than I would appreciating your natural athletic ability and honestly, I really don't have time for that. Wasting valuable practicing time trying to get an athlete to do what I say, instead of what they want to do is a sure way to ride the pine on my team.  They pay me to coach, so you can be an athlete. (Just a side note, your body will not let you be a fantastic athlete all your life.  If you want to coach, there will be enough time when your athletic career is done.)

Lastly, can you work hard and have a good time? I coach because it's fun! (Believe me, the 25 cents I make an hour does not compensate me enough to not have fun.) Complete the drill right or do it twice and there isn't any reason why you can't smile while you do it.  It's fun to win, but it's the practice when funny things happen. Like the time I tried to hurdle and ended up on the ground, or the many times that I swing at a ball only to hit the air. The athletes that make the most of their experience with me work hard, but are able to laugh at themselves and occasionally at me.  I try to make sure that serious time is serious time, and if things get too tense, then it's time for something silly to come out of my mouth to lighten up the mood. 

70-80% of my selection is based on the three things mentioned.  The rest of the selection is based on your athletic talent.  I've worked with kids ages 4-22 and have had too many kids that could barely run a lap, or hit a volleyball develop into one of the best players on my team.  I believe that this phenomenon is because HEART, LISTENING, HARD WORK and HAVING FUN allow the best athletic ability a person has to shine through.  It may take a little time, but in almost 30 years of coaching, I have never been disappointed by an athlete when using my method.  So, if your interested in playing for me, or wondering how to make a team I coach, you now have the answer directly from the coach :)

No comments:

Post a Comment