Friday, July 6, 2012

The Beginning of the Journey
This is the first of hopefully many posts to entertain and maybe inspire others. I lead a very busy life, doesn't everyone? I teach students with disabilities, I coach volleyball and until recently track, I'm a booster mom for wrestling, I'm chief chauffeur for activities, I cook, I clean etc.., but I'm also the primary bread winner of the family. In May of 2011, I was rushed to the hospital for what appeared to be a stroke.The thought when I was in the back of the ambulance was "If something is really wrong with me what happens to the other six people that depend on me?"

After scaring friends, family, co workers and myself, we waited six months to test, poke and prod to find out that I have chronic classical neurologically involved migraines due to a PFO (otherwise known as a small hole in your heart). While I waited to see a neurologist, I wanted to take control of my physical health instead of letting it take control of me.  Besides, deep down I'm a control freak and don't do well with being told what to do. Living with 5 kids, two dogs, two cats, one fish and a totally awesome husband often makes me have to let them think they are in control some of the time. Our house is loud and there isn't much privacy, but I needed some time to process my own mortality, what that meant to my family and do it in a way that didn't have to scare them. So, after volunteering at the Peachtree Road Race last July I decided the best way to process my life was to go for a run.

I have a long history with running. I lost a bike when I was six and my dad made me spend my summer running. I ran in middle and high school to stay out of a house that wasn't always pleasant. I ran in college to escape dorm parties and because they didn't let you have a car on campus for the first semester. After college, life got busy and I put my old friend running to the side. I did honor the time running and I spent together all those years by giving back as a track coach, and for a long while that was enough. As I was contemplating my own mortality, running kept whispering in my ear that she was there. So, in June of 2011, I took my kids to the all comers meets at Emory University thinking that would quite the voice.  Here running, I'm giving you the next generation to make friends with. That wasn't enough to quite the voice. In July I volunteered at the Peachtree Road Race handing out tee shirts, and because running has a sense of humor, I was assigned to hand out tee shirts, in 90 degree heat. After that day I decided it would be easier to run than hand out tee shirts to 60,000 runners! Brian and the kids thought this would be a phase that would pass when school started.  Brian even trained with me for the first 5k. When the running kept happening when school started, everyone realized they were getting on the road whether they liked it or not!

That's where the journey begins.  Look from some posts from my husband, after all, he has to be the adult that lives with me. The kids may post some things to on what it's like to be a member of a marathon support crew (whether you like it or not because your mother is crazy) and of course I'll be writing frequently to keep the running voice pacified.

Thanks for reading!
Steff

No comments:

Post a Comment