Wednesday, January 29, 2014

State of the Union- Gagnon Style

 Since last night was the State of the Union address, and when I was growing up I wanted to be the President of the United States, I thought it would be fun to provide my own State of the Gagnon's Address. This is an updated picture of our family taken at Thanksgiving 2013.  Stephen is a senior, Zeke is a freshman, Josie is an 8th grader, Elijah is a 5th grader and Colin is a 3rd grader.  My husband and I will be the big 40 this year. Most days we try to get everyone dressed, fed, off to the bus, off to work, homework completed, laundry done, bodies cleaned and repeat.  On good days I get a little baking and running in.  On really good days I get some writing in that isn't school related!

This is Colin, being Colin!
     Things seem to be going pretty well.  We have successfully moved to a smaller house in South Georgia.  Children are sharing rooms and haven't killed each other (most days).  Daily fights about counter space due to Josie not doing the dishes (her only chore) happen, well daily.  Trash goes out on Friday's instead of Tuesdays.  Mail comes in the morning instead of the afternoon.  Overall we manage to navigate the smaller space pretty well.  When it gets too loud, or to crowded, well someone is going outside (kids, mom just depends on the weather and time of day).  Speaking of weather, I was assured that it was going to be warm in South Georgia.  I enjoyed the 80 degree days in August and September, but this constant 27 degrees one day and 70 the next isn't my cup of tea.
Elijah has adjusted well.

Health wise, everyone has been pretty healthy.  Stephen got to discover the joys of migraines like Elijah and I do.  Elijah's seizures haven't been too bad. Big storms and crazy weather patterns can set him off, but he's good at managing them.  I'm learning how to manage my Hashimoto's flare ups.  Not as well as Elijah takes his seizures.  I'm still a little pissed about the swelling, fatigue and weight gain.  I could really pass on the attacking of my joints Hasimoto's causes.  I've tried using it as a reason to by some more running shoes, but my husband isn't buying it.  I have things to do and places to go so, when it's bad I push through and then go to bed at 7.  The vitamin regiment has been helping a lot (as long as I remember to take them).  I currently weigh 158, down from 164.  Progress is being made, just not at the speed I like. I'm also not a good dieter.  The family begged me not to fully give up my Coca-Cola in fear that I would go postal on some unexpecting soul, but I'm down to two a day.  Cupcakes and sugar in general... well I'm still working on that.
Josie's usual look

         As far as school goes, looks like some are doing better than others.  Stephen is on track to graduate.  Thank you Jesus (and everyone else who has stopped me from ringing his neck over the years).  South Georgia education is different.  After arguing that Zeke really was gifted, and struggling with his belief that homework really isn't a necessary part of the educational process, he appears to be having a much better second semester of high school.  Josie is working hard and hoping that the chorus program at the high school next year is better than the middle school chorus, but once again she qualified for the large group performance choir.  She also managed to silence a section of soprano's at the Christmas concert with one look proving that the queen still rules.  Elijah has an awesome teacher.  He's on honor roll, making new friends and getting ready to play soccer for the first time in two years.  Colin, well he's still the family ham.  He was asked to join drama, but he thought he had better things to do with his after school time, like run around in the back yard, climb trees and play video games.  He has managed to make lots of new friends,
Look, siblings not fighting!
Brian and I have adjusted to our new jobs.  I enjoy mine more than he does his.  We joined the YMCA.  Brian is now bowling and I joined a running group.  I'll be running the half marathon in my new home town in March.  We are planning a trip to Maine this summer where I'll run a half marathon in my old hometown.  Looks like I'll be starting a volleyball program from scratch this summer as well as preparing for some more half-marathons.  We'll be going to Atlanta in August for the Magnolia Run to raise funds for the Epilepsy Foundation.  Josie and Zeke's classes have been chosen for high school, Elijah eagerly waits for picking electives for middle school, and Colin isn't sure about being the only Gagnon in a school for the first time.  All in all things are better than they have been, but there still a great distance to travel!
Me with my "babies!"

No comments:

Post a Comment