Sunday, January 26, 2014

Not Too Bad

This Saturday I completed my, well I don't know how many 5k's I've finished, but this one was memorable.  My first 5k I ran 50 minutes with a then 50 pound Elijah on my back. My PR (personal record), I remember that one too. Mile two was a trail section and I almost fell three times on the Southwest side of Atlanta. I was surprised I ran 38 minutes on the hilly, rainy course. I was even more impressed I stayed upright!

Saturday's 5k was the Nun Run in support of St. Theresa's Catholic Church and school. You got a hat for signing up and if you could beat the nun, then you got a special prize. Plus, sometimes I'm a good Catholic girl (minus the abstinence and no cussing of course). The parish priest was there offering blessings The other nuns, school kids and teachers made the runners pancakes after the race. Any race that's willing to make free pancakes for people who love to carb load, and have a priest bless you before running is alright with me!

It was cold for south Georgia (27). There was no chip timing, or gun start, or even a big clock to keep track of your time. I guess when your running for the brides of Jesus you should have some faith that someone is keeping up with your time. Since the sisters are a little older, and I know how distracted my kids would get with the task, I started Run Keeper, delayed slightly because of the start.

When the guys, who look like Hell's Angels took off on their motorcycles,  the race started. The nun...yeah that was a man dressed up in a habit. That was a little disappointing since I was sizing up the  potential running nuns at the check in. I thought since the sisters were in their 60's, and running in full nun gear, I had a real chance at a prize. Now, I'm not too proud to admit that there are many 60 year old women who leave me in the dust when it comes to running, but I thought I had a chance until I saw the running nun was a man dressed in the nun's habit. No prize this 5k.

I had a nice race. I ran with a girl from my running group who was just diagnosed with a thyroid condition. The leader of our group is running the Princess marathon at Disney. Since I'm not much of a princess,  I stayed local with the nuns. It turned out my running buddy came in fourth in her age group and I came in 5th in my age group! Best age group finish for a 5k! Guess getting blessed by the priest helped! I attached a picture of me post race, getting a congratulatory hug from our dog when I came in. Not too bad a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment