Sunday, January 5, 2014

Gym Problems

I'm new to the gym scene. Some bio  mechanic issues mother nature blessed me with, and the need to lose the twenty pounds Hashimoto's disease has blessed me with, drove me seek out a gym. Sometimes I take the kids and on Sundays I take my husband. I really like to go use the rowing machine and the weights are just bonus. Thursdays I'm taking a hot yoga/Pilates class which I like despite how it highlights what little coordination I have!

I don't know a great deal about gym etiquette. I assume its a little like running in that you wave to people you see, give way to people who move faster, and no pushing. Oh, and wear headphones because not everyone wants to hear your music. Personally,  I don't talk much when I run and I really don't talk much working out (I'm usually too busy trying to do two things at once, like moving and breathing)! Hence my confusion today.

I was rowing and the guy behind me on the stepper started talking, really loud. Now, due to the years coaching, mothering a large family and trying to drown out my off key singing by turning the radio up as loud as it goes, I'm pretty deaf! If I can hear you over the machines, well, you're too loud. I even had my headphones in. At first I thought the guy might be talking to my husband, but then I saw the phone. Who talks on the phone and does aerobic exercise?  Who has the coordination to use the step machine and hold a phone? I have a hard enough time not falling off the thing. He was annoying and I was glad when he left.

I also don't understand the need for the towel. I usually wipe my face with my shirt. Its convenient and I don't have to keep up with it. Plus, its one less piece of laundry I have to do! I surely do not understand why you'd give people a white towel to wipe their sweat on, never mind when they put that towel down on the machines.  One guy wiped his face with his towel, then put it down on a machine covered in blood! Can you say unsanitary? There are bottles with bleach and rags hanging around to clean off the machines, but that's a lot of work too considering the rags they have are about a inch long and inch wide. Then I'm sitting around, smelling like sweaty bleach, waiting for the equipment to dry.

I guess I'll continue to work on my gym problems. Adding gym time has helped me lose four pounds so it can't be all bad!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the gym world. You joined at the right time! Er....actually January is the wrong time to be at the gym since you have all the new year's resolutions wanna-bes in there. As for the loudmouth, would politely ask to quiet it down, or ask him this is his usuaaly time to go to the gym to avoid his loud conversations, refer him to the gym policy in not having conversations in the gym. If any of those don't work...seem help from an employee.

    As for towels, I use mind on the treadmill to wipe my face, I use the wipes provided to clean the treadmill. I use the towel to sit on equipment or cover the equipment where my face will be resting on. I don't trust others hygiene habits and some men especially older men wear the short jogging shorts that things can fall out of. Ew Gross!

    It will get better when you stick to a set time and see regulars. They are the helpful ones and are socialable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete