Saturday, January 11, 2014

Into Every Life Some Rain Must Fall

I missed getting up and running with my running group,again.  I could of got up to run at 6am or 730am, but I slept in until 830am. My early weekend morning motivation and determination lacking, I decided to see if making a donut run might help. No point in disappointing the kids with no Saturday Krispy Kremes because mom didn't have her act together, right?

I hoped that a couple donuts and a coke would make my five mile run motivation come around. If a coke can bring a smile surely it can make a person want to go run. No such luck. It was cloudy and 68 degrees when I drove to get the donuts. Rain chance at 90% so, I started thinking tomorrow's sunny forecast was looking like a better day to complete a five mile run. Then I remembered Sunday is Y day and I have laundry to do.

The clouds didn't look bad when I left the house. There was a nice breeze and I was even in shorts, in January! The first mile was cloudy, windy and not that bad. Then the clouds started getting dark and the street lights started to come on. Thats when I took a picture to docuement my potential stupidity. Usually at this point I call my husband to come pick me up in the car, but of course he's working, so I allowed stupidity to rule and kept running.

I heard my run timer announce my 14:40 per mile pace and started doing some quick math in my head (not my strong suit). I wasn't sure at my pace if I could get five miles in before the storms started, but since I was wearing a purple shirt and fighting with disappointment in myself due to my failure to run with my group I kept on running, in classic slow Eyore fashion.

At about mile 2.5 I heard the first rumblings of mother nature. A runner never likes to hear thunder half way through a run, especially a slow runner who is certain there is no chance of out running a storm. I'm one of those runners, but there wasn't really a choice but to continue.  I don't know any short cuts in my new neighborhood,  nor do I know any neighbors on that side of the neighborhood that would let me hang out until the storm passed. If I was getting home it was on my own feet. 

3 miles out the rain started. When you wear glasses it gets hard to see in the rain. Puddles, sticks, garbage, holes all start looking like a blurry mess. Cars passing by spray you with water, your feet are wet, it sucks. Still, at least it was warm and I only had two miles left. I started thinking I can do this. The running app announced 4 miles. I was wet and couldn't see much, but I was in the home stretch!

Then..... the thing a runner never wants to hear on a run...tornado siren! Really?! I knew I should of just kept my happy butt in bed! On a good day I can run a 12:30 mile, but after running four of them.... Well, let's just say the snowball has a better chance of making it out of he'll than I did of getting out of the storm! I ran the last mile home. Blurry vision, wet feet, siren blasting, thunder grumbling, I ran.

Well, now that its done, logged shared, and I'm recovering,  I'm planning on excusing myself from laundry the rest of the day. YOLO!

No comments:

Post a Comment