Thursday, September 27, 2012

On a Walk

This week I've been going on a thirty minute walk with Josie, Elijah and Colin. Know what I've discovered? My kids talk a lot (okay that's not really a new discovery), but at least they're willing to share the details of their lives. I have heard about elementary drama on the playground, teachers who lose their cool and other people's naughty children (I'm sure there is a patent out there hearing about my naughty children's antics). Each child wants to talk about different things and when one is talking to me the other two talk to each other. It may be the only thirty minutes of the day that they get along and it was mighty nice of them to do it in public!

Josie likes to recap the day and will provide a critique of the bus ride, chorus and usually her science class. She'll also sing so it's a good opportunity for me to assess if all the money I'll be investing in chorus is worth it. Let's just say that 600 for the chorus trip to Disney may take a couple more walks!

Elijah likes to talk about the most recent story line of his comic. He'll ask me questions about what he's learning in class, "just to check if his teachers are telling the truth." He also informs me of his plans for the future. Apparently he's adopting 5 kids without a wife and plans on buying his mom the Victorian house up the street. What a great son!

Colin talks a mile a minute and he talks with his hands! He's very animated with everything he says and filled with questions. He also has boundless energy (I wish I could bottle it. I'm sure it would sell faster than any energy drink)! I've enjoyed watching the future of track on our walks as Colin hurdles cracks on the sidewalks and jumps off of every wall and curb. He conjures images of completing a marathon together in the years to come! Okay, he'll finish four hours ahead of me, but we'll start together!

I'm hoping to continue our little walks when this break is over. The walks aren't doing a lot for my Nike+ status, but they are doing a lot for my relationships with my kids! Happy walking y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment