Friday, September 28, 2012

Cool Mom?

I have "interesting" kids, all five of them and sitting in an elementary lunch room puts that in clear focus! You see yesterday Colin asked me to come to school for lunch and I usually do this with my husband. Who by the way, was cool for years because he stayed at home and all the other dads worked. Mom was, and still is, just a teacher and a coach which there are plenty of at a any school. Not winning any cool points there, but due to my competitive nature I'm trying to assess where my cool points are so I acquire the appropriate number to be a cool mom!

I'm cool at the high school (hey who isn't cool with a rhyme like that)! The fact that I run the concession stand, coach and willingly run after school in my spandex makes me pretty cool. As long as no one asks Stephen about why his mom runs after school, in spandex, while he's at wrestling, he thinks I'm pretty cool (at least as cool as a mom gets in high school)! I'm also pretty cool at lunch when he's snacking on my leftovers or some goody from the teacher's dining room!

Zeke tells his friends I'm cool because I cook, we'll I actually fry a lot and bake a lot when he's not with his dad! Since he's on some natural, gluten free, reduced sugar, crappy diet during the week, I'm super cool two to three days a week!

Josie, well being the only other girl in the house and the chief Josie chore enforcer makes me not so cool. I am super cool in the mornings when she "borrows" my clothes. Josie's told me I'm cool because I know the words to most of the songs on her IPod (Is now the time I tell her that because of the cloud we have the same songs? Maybe I'll keep that bit of cool to myself a little longer). Josie has informed me that only cool moms allow their daughters to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch in the seventh grade so I think I racked up major cool points there!

Elijah has written that I am a cool mom because I remind him to take his meds, get him up in the morning and make really good food! Major cool mom points if your kid thinks your cool when you nag and get them up in the morning for school! Of course I'll be saving that note for when he hits those teen years and finds such mom behavior not cool!

Colin thinks I'm cool because I run, make really good fried chicken and on those rare occasions that I eat lunch at school with him, I bring cookies or cup cakes! I've also been known to bring him a coke too (major cool points from the kid, but not so much from the teacher)!

So, if I tally it up I have to rake in the cool mom points. Multiplied by five I have to be a cool mom more than I'm not a cool mom, right? Of course a large amount of my cool points comes from my culinary comfort talents, but I have determined if cup cakes, cookies and fried chicken will rake in the cool mom points then I should probably get busy! I need to store up the points for fall yard work, wrestling, volleyball Christmas chorus concerts and report cards where I'll definitely not be earning mom cool points!

No comments:

Post a Comment