Sunday, September 16, 2012

Educators not Babysitters


I’ve been trying to stay out of the political fray this election season.  I teach social studies so I do keep abreast of what is going on politically so I can answer students questions and make them think about the issues intelligently. On Friday, when one of my students asked why don’t we strike so they could have a week off from school, I knew I had to dig deeper into the Chicago teachers’ strike.  I have been watching the Chicago teachers’ strike with great interest over the last couple days.  Tonight, though the Chicago teachers' strike made me jump out of my chair when I heard the news caster say, “There will be no school Monday and parents are now left seeking care for their kids.” Umm excuse me, since when were public school teachers responsible for providing “care” for children. The implication was that public schools existinence is to provide care for working parents. Really, I don't think that's what I spent eight years in college for- BABYSITTING?  I didn't know that was a major offered in most colleges! I’m not a babysitter and if the evening news feels like public schools are free, government funded child care centers then it’s time to disband the notion of public schools in the US.

I’ve been teaching for the last 16 years and for the last five have not received a pay raise.  I respect that the teachers in Chicago were willing to strike in order to get what they thought was fair for the job that they do, but when I heard that the average salary for Chicago teachers was 70,000 a year I became a little jealous.  I was shocked that the strike was in part for a 4% a year cost of living raise.  I make 68,000 a year, but I have a doctorate degree, a department chair position and a coaching stipend. I would not be considered an average teacher by any stretch of the imagination.  At this point I’d be happy if I got paid for the years of experience I have (teachers in my county have been frozen at the years of experience they had five years ago), but instead I pay more for retirement, more for health insurance and more for dental insurance.  The prices for such benefits have increased each year and the benefits have decreased.   This is the first year that my pay has not been cut by furlough days and I'm very thankful for that!

It would be nice if the national news media would use this teacher strike in Chicago to refocus the conversation on education and teachers all over the nation who have not seen pay raises in the last five years. It would be nice if we took the opportunity to show how many school systems struggle every year to find money to keep the doors open and the masses educated.  Perhaps a focus on all the teachers, who despite pay cuts, still show up to work every day and dig into their limited pockets to provide materials for students who don’t have what they need.  Perhaps a new focus on all the things that are right in public education, all the kids that go to college and are inspired by a teacher to reach their dreams!

So to the newscaster this evening, I’m not a babysitter!  I don’t provide care to children! I provide passion, perseverance and education to students so they can take care of themselves!  I provide an example to students that with hard work you can do great things and give back your community!  I provide an adult person that mentors, and encourages young people to reach for their dreams with hard work!  I am and EDUCATOR, not a babysitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment