Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fearing the end of a good thing

I'm pretty sure everyone has fears. I know Colin fears bugs and the dark. Stephen fears needles. My husband fears snakes. Zeke fears getting hit. Josie fears rats. Elijah fears the EKG. These seem like rational fears that you can deal with.

I on the other hand, have a fear I don't really know what to do with. Lately my Imitrex has been causing the back of my throat to swell. Im left asking why my good old friend Imitrex would want to leave me in the lurch! I'm paralyzed about a course of action to take if I can't take a tripitan for migraine relief. It's a medication that allows me to return to my life, but an allergic reaction that can kill me is probably not a good option! I take a preventive, keep a schedule, and eat a pretty limited diet in an effort to keep my migraines to under twenty a month.

There hasn't been a new medication not in the tripitan family developed for migraine relief in the last twenty years. I'm thankful that I live in a time where such medication is available, but the fear of not being able to take it is very real.

Imitrex is one of my best friends. It allows me to have ten more quality days a month (after a thirty minute battle to tame the tiger that migraine can be)! It's been a fantastic relationship this last year, but I fear it may come to an end if Imitrex keeps effecting my throat/breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment