Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Where Can I Find a Snowflake Like You

Today was my second day working out at the Y. I specifically picked the Y to workout in because of its family orientation and its rowers.  Since I knew that I would be by myself most of the time, I figured I wouldn't have to deal with agressive men hitting on me. To be honest, with my recent weight gain I can't imagine anyone voluntary hitting on me, especially in my spandex.  I mean look at the picture. That's how I went to the gym! Rolled out of bed, put on my clothes and headband. My daughter even asked if I was going out like this. My response: Yes, I'm going to workout, not participate in a fashion show!

I arrived at the Y around 9am. There were several seniors taking classes and working out. There were also a few stay at home moms and two teens. I proceeded to the rower, took off my sweatshirt and commenced rowing. I row in five minute sets with increasing pull. I also row/workout with my headphones in. I'm really not there to socialize,  I'm there to workout. I'll take out my headphones to say hi, or answer a question, but I like to keep things moving.

The rowers aren't used much. A grey haired man in his late 70's informed me of this as I was setting the timer and tension. He also informed me I might get some questions because of this. He welcomed me to the Y and thanked me for brighting up the place. Very nice and appropriate! I made it to the second set before a middle aged African American man started to ask if the rower gives you a good workout. I explained how it worked and major muscle groups worked. Said happy new year and have a nice day. I figured that would be the end of it and he was just being friendly.

When I finished my third set the man came back and started with the following:

Guy: You from around here?

Me: Not originally. I'm from New England.

Guy: What brings a pretty thing like you all the way down here.

Me: I'm the new assistant principal at Mitchell County High.

Its at this point I realize this man was being a little bit more than friendly and attempting to hit on me. I started to walk away, but he followed me to the weight machines.

Guy: You married?

Me: Yes, happily for ten years and five kids.

Now, the fact that I have my wedding band on should of been his first clue I'm not available. Telling him I was an assistant principal should of been his second clue I was not available. I'm busy with work. When told that I'm happily married with five kids, that's strike three. Dude,  I'm not interested and you're out. Take it to the house and go away! No such luck!

I went to the weight machines and put my headphones back in. I hoped that was the end of it, but when I was done with the stomach machines he was back.

Guy: So, let me ask you something personal.

Before I could say no he continued,

Guy: Where can I find a snowflake like you? I've been looking for a long time for a woman like you!"

What the hell?! I was thinking is this guy serious? Who does this? Is this normal?  Can I cuss him out at the Y? Instead I responded the best I could under the circumstances. 

Me: You could try church or I hear there are plenty of single moms out at the kiddie fields. Gotta go!

Guy: I'm sure going to like watching you leave.

Ohhh Yuck! I assure you I haven't moved that fast in a long time! The next time I go I'm taking one of the kids, preferably a rather loud, obnoxious one. If that doesn't work, I'm going to suggest to my husband getting me a bigger wedding ring to ward off such foolishness! I attached a second picture of my child who has volunteered to be my main man at the Y!

No comments:

Post a Comment