Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Big Reveal

Wouldn't it be nice if doctors revealed your diagnosis like they do on the television?  Just think, friends and family surround you as you return from your fully paid for spa vacation. You arrive at the doctors in some fancy car that has a driver and the doctor meets you at the door ready to reveal (and hopefully fix) what's been making you feel like crap forever! I think it would be better than the anticlimactic way we do it now! At least I'd feel like I got my copays worth.

None of that happened of course when I went to the endocrinologist.  We waited thirty minutes in the waiting room. Then we had to tell the nurse that she was missing two test. The nurse was friendly and told us that some of my blood work looked good and some did not. Like I wasn't nervous enough. My sweet husband then waited with me another fifteen minutes for the doctor to come in. With little fan fare the doctor asked me if any of my symptoms had changed (which they had not but muscle fatigue) and then announced that I had Hashimoto disease. My thyroid could last ten years or ten weeks. I can plan on having bouts/flare ups until the doctor decides my thyroid is ineffective.  That was the anticlimactic reveal of why I've been feeling like crap the last couple months! It took me the rest of the day to learn to say the new disease the right way. I still slip and call it Qusimodo disease.

There were some other instructions too. Every couple months I have to get my thyroid levels tested frequently and take some vitiams that my body has trouble processing due to my thyroid. My lovely husband gets to watch for swelling of my face and depression. He also gets to tell me when I'm getting fat and over tired. Poor man didn't sign on for babysitting a grown woman, but he does! I've included a picture of my wonderful hubby who loves and supports me!

No comments:

Post a Comment