Sunday, October 14, 2012

Surprise

I turned 38 on Monday to no fan fare. Stephen did leave me a note on my desk stating that 38 was the new 70, and that folks was the highlight of my day.  It was a little awkward trying to explain to my co workers, and especially my students, that there were no plans, or presents that day, not even a cup cake! My husband did order pizza for dinner that night, and my mom called to say happy birthday and then talk about work. Not much of a celebration of my life after 38 years. This was the thanks I got for dutifully planning and executing every birthday in my house?  I figured that my family could at least put something together to show their love and appreciation that I was born. Epic fail!  Since it was my family, I should have know better! 

The next couple days were awkward as people asked me what type of birthday I had.  My response, "Lots of people told me happy birthday on Facebook, I didn't have to cook supper and the kids cleaned the house so, pretty good."  Most of the people who asked couldn't hide their confusion and I couldn't help unconfuse them. The rest of the week went pretty well, work, volleyball, home and sleep. Since my birthday had passed I wasn't expecting anything else.  When we got a $1500 utility bill I figured that it was a sign from God that this year was not a birthday to be celebrated.

Saturday, I was up early to coach my team at the Area Playoffs.  Josie had an audition for an All State Chorus and I knew that most of the day was shot with all that going on.  Of course, the volleyball that hit the back of my head wasn't doing much for my migraine either.  After losing our second game, and spending two hours in a cafeteria listening to sopranos warm up scales,  the best I was hoping for Saturday was some Imetrix and a nap (hell I would of been happy to take my Imetrix and go to sleep for the rest of the night). I guess Stephen's assessment that 38 was the new 70 wasn't too far from the truth, and like any other 70 year old I didn't care.  Age grants you the privilege of taking naps at random times of the day so, 70 doesn't seem that bad. I got home around 3:30 and went straight to bed.  Stephen came in at some point to ask me if I wanted pizza or chicken for supper.  Since I was a little groggy with my migraine hangover, I wasn't sure I was really hearing my mother's voice, but when Brian came in to the bedroom and told me that there was a surprise, well I was surprised.
Surprise!


My husband, kids and mother coordinated a wonderful surprise birthday party (and I've wanted one of those since I was a little kid)!  There was pizza, cake and presents.  The kids were excited. My husband was excited and I was super EXCITED!  My head even cooperated and the migraine that was killing me at Josie's audition disappeared for the rest of the evening.  Brian took the little boys shopping, and much to his surprise they are both fashion fiends!  After 38 years, I finally have an orange wool coat! Colin got me a green sweater that actually looks very good on me! I have a lovely new dress from my husband and the rest of the kids, and my mom got me a fancy, dancy pair of running headphones. SURPRISE!!



Showing off my new orange coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment