Saturday, March 8, 2014

First Half Marathon of the Season

Home post race
Last weekend about this time I arrived home from my 6th half marathon. The Snickers- Albany half marathon in my new home town.  It was a beautiful day and a flat course.  Two things that should make for a wonderful half marathon.  Of course nothing goes as planned around here, which is what I guess makes things so entertaining.

Where a lot of the money goes!
I had been sick for about a month.  I missed two of my long runs due to a sinus infection and busted ear drums from double ear infections.  Ever try to run with busted ear drums?  Not only can you not hear your awesome play list, but that balance thing actually turns out to be very important to staying upright.  Anyways, the carefully Jeff Galloway constructed training plan didn't go as planned.  When I woke up that morning, I really didn't feel up to the race, but as my darling husband pointed out before he went to work, I did pay money to run. Lots of money to run.

A selfie after the race
I finished the race in 3:13:20. It was also my first solo race.  My husband had to work so I finished with no support at the end of the race.  It was odd to be one of the few people there without family to congratulate you (or carry you back to the car).  Since there wasn't any husband or children to take pictures of me running I managed to take on of myself overlooking the river at the finish. I have spent the rest of the week recovering. I didn't get the regular 11 mile cramps and the ladies in my running group kept me motivated throughout the run.  I have already made plans for the next half marathon in May.  I'm hoping to stay healthy through training this cycle, even if it is one of the busiest times of the year.  Wish me luck! (Oh and the next race my husband will be there with me to carry me back to the car)

No comments:

Post a Comment