Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Being Sick With A Chronic Illness

I'm use to not feeling 100%. I manage chronic migraine and Hashimoto's daily. I follow a pretty strict sleep schedule, I take my vitamins, I track any weather changes, I follow my migraine diet (most days). I have become a pro at managing these two conditions as best I can, but they still flair up from time to time.  Due to the fatigue and pain that both of my chronic conditions cause, I can be a little slow in identifying when a virus or infection is attacking. That's what happened yesterday with my sinus infection and double ear infections.

Ear pain can be part of migraine so I ignored it for three weeks. My thyroid swells up and makes my throat hurt so, I blamed my sore throat and enlarged lymph nodes on the Hashimoto's.  The increased fatigue?  I blamed that on the wacky weather, busy schedule at home and work, and my thyroid acting up. When I started to deteriorate quickly Monday,  I finally took some cold meds, blamed my husband and kids for giving me a cold,and went to bed at 7pm. Tuesday,  I felt worse than I had in years. Over the counter cold meds were no longer working, and I got sent home from work with specific orders to go to the doctor.

I've taken three doses of antibiotics, a ton of anti inflammatory meds, and three doses of decongestant cough medicine. My right ear leaked a bunch of fluid over the night and feels better. My left ear on the other hand is still killing me. While I'm pretty good at managing my chronic conditions, I have to admit these ear infections have put me down for the count. I'm not sure about looking like I have two black eyes right now either, but at least they don't hurt.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to not get too comfortable with successful management of a chronic condition because a little ear infection can bring you to the fetal position.

No comments:

Post a Comment