Sunday, March 30, 2014

Take It Easy

I would love to be writing about a beautiful 6 mile run I was supposed to take today, but instead all I have to write about is an exciting day of bed rest. Yes, my body failed me again! Apparently,  no one informed it that I had plans. Running plans, baking plans, shopping plans, laundry plans...well I can always pass on laundry plans, but I really planned on my body keeping up with my to do list this weekend.

My body attacks itself. Fatigue is not new to me. I am a mom to 5 busy kids. I'm familiar with joint pain, usually from physical activity. Random swelling, otherwise known as edema of my ankles was a new experience.  That's the Hashimoto's main weapon, random attacks on my joints. Sometimes it's my hands, sometimes my hips, sometimes my knees and maybe if I've been particularly bad my digestive system. I take four different vitamins to assist my body with fighting the urge to attack itself. I follow sleep guidelines, and the laundry list of things I should not eat is longer than the list of things I can eat.  I try to play by the rules so my body will do what I need it to do when I need it to do it. This weekend my body had other plans.

My feet hurt Friday so I went to bed early. 5 am wake up Saturday for Josie's volleyball tournament went fine until I couldn't comfortably fit my feet into my sneakers. Flip flops it was for the tournament.  JROTC Military ball that evening and by 430 my right foot and ankle were three times their normal size. I  put my rather large cankles in some heels and stood in the receiving line, unable to feel my foot any longer. Really thought I was heading to the emergency room, but I made it home where my darling husband demand I sleep with my feet above my head and take it easy all day Sunday.

For the most part I followed husband's orders. I took a nap and then reviewed paperwork on the couch under the direct supervision of the dog. Knowing how much I hate taking it easy, my husband ran me a bath and cooked supper. My ankles and feet are still swollen,  but looking more like feet than marshmallows.  I'm sleeping in compression sleeves in hopes of wearing dress shoes tomorrow to work. There's only so much take it easy this girl can take without a beach to lay on!

No comments:

Post a Comment