Friday, September 5, 2014

You Should Thank Jesus

Yesterday was another day of doctors not knowing what's wrong with me, nor how to treat what's wrong with me. Currently,  my blood pressure and heart rate are too low. The chest pains and dizziness are also problematic. When I was discussing with someone what was wrong (after they asked why I went to the doctors) their response shocked and angered me. What could someone say that would cause shock and anger? "You should thank Jesus that you don't have cancer or something more serious!"  Which was followed by "You don't look sick. Are you sure? You're pretty athletic."

Many possible comments came to my brain. The following are things I wished I said:
1. Perhaps,  you should thank Jesus that I haven't knocked your head off your shoulders for being and idiot!
2. I'm sure Jesus has better things to do then give me an invisible illness to be thankful for.
3. Jesus made it possible for me not to look sick so I can practice patience for the mentally challenged.
4. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't give me Hashimoto's, since it's an autoimmune disease, to test how thankful I am.
5. Are you really that gifted that you can put your foot in your mouth and talk out your ass?
6. In your world do athletes not get sick?

Any of these would be justified comments to a person who is insensitive to an illness they can't see.  I carry on with work, and parenting, and coaching despite not feeling well, in hopes I can fake it until I make it. Some days I make it through the day; some days I make it through a couple of hours. Just because my illness is not visible,  it doesn't make it any less to battle.  We'd all be in better shape if we remembered to treat each other with a little grace and mercy instead of righteous and judgements

So, what did I say to my Jesus friend? As an educator my first instinct was to attempt to educate them, but to be completely honest I just answered I thank Jesus everyday and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment