Wednesday, June 11, 2014

On My Shirt Tales

First Game! New Team!
The colors may have changed from blue and gold to red, white and blue, but the coaching has not.  Last night was my first night coaching my new team in their first game.  The gym was not unlike the previous gym I coached in- UN-airconditioned.  Unlike my previous team, the girls on my new team have not played volleyball before.  They were volleyball virgins and the teams we played last night had definitely been around the block a few times.  Despite the slaughter that ensued, my new team had a good time and learned a lot about volleyball.  The team enjoyed the hair ribbons and getting ice cream for meeting our goals.  It was the first time that my daughter was also one of my players and other than having to remind myself that she was a Freshman, things went well.

Anyone that has played for me knows that at some point I'll get frustrated with players letting balls fall to the ground.  I particularly get frustrated when balls fall on the ground because girls don't move their feet.  I can only assume that the girls do not know what to do so, I have to show them.  Now, I'm not as young as I use to be, and I currently have an ankle impingement that requires a brace, rest and ice, but the coach in me could not let balls keep hitting the ground due to ignorance.  What's a coach to do?  Well, if its me then some poor girl will be told to grab my shirt tales and move with me.  Last night the girls learned quick that this old lady might be injured and not as quick as she use to be, but she can still move.

They giggled and laughed.  I dragged a few behind me and my daughter just rolled her eyes.  She's seen this done before, usually with a lot of yelling.  She proceeded to warn my shirt tale girls that they better move because I wasn't playing.  I know that it will be a different season than the years of the past.  I'm starting a program from scratch with only one girl that has ever played....my daughter who is the youngest person on the team!  One thing is for sure, there will be more nights of girls trying to keep up holding onto my shirt tales!

No comments:

Post a Comment