Thursday, April 24, 2014

Vacation

Where I Should Be- At The BEACH
It's currently my spring break.  Many people have littered social media with all the cool things that they are doing during their holiday.  Lots of trips to Disney and the Beach.  Special days with children engaging in activities such as mani/pedi's, fishing, eating out, visiting with out of state relatives you get the idea.. fun and family! So, what do you do when your break doesn't align with the rest of your family and friends and well, you're broke?  You could sit at home elbow deep into an Oreo package feeling sorry for yourself, (definitely not good for your diet, or migraines- trust me I've tried) or check out the list of things I've done during this break in the absence of family and the beach!

1. Troll Social Media for people in your same situation. Beware, you'll also find those friends who are on your dream vacation too!

2. Clean your house!  Not exciting, but at least my home will smell clean and be disinfected until the kids get home on the bus.

3. Bake cookies for said germ carrying children, and you know if you give a kid a cookie then they'll request three other varieties to be ready when they get off the bus tomorrow!

4. Create a new playlist for your next half marathon!  In a total poor planning moment, and a major race director not taking my spring break into consideration, next weekend I'll be running the Flying Pig in Cincinnati.  My Albany playlist wasn't long enough for the entire half, so I'm working on a longer one for this race.  It's also a ten hourish drive so I'm taking music suggestions I can sing while I drive that may, or may not annoy the heck out of my husband (depends on traffic)!

5. Sleep in, sorta of.  Mom duties don't end because mom is the only one on break.  Wake up call is still at 6am for the kids, but it is nice to go back and sleep until 8am.  Of course this plays havoc with my carefully constructed sleep schedule for migraines and Hashimoto's but you only live once!

6. Watch daytime television and know why you work.  Really, how many times can you watch Maury and know "you are not the father!"

7. Tackle that mountain of laundry that never gets done!  Its a battle that is never won until the kids move out, but I thought I had cleaned every piece of laundry in the house until I opened the kids' bathroom door.  If you don't open the door and pretend you never saw the mountain can you still claim victory?

8. Go for a run and not worry about getting home in time for practice, or groceries, or an appointment, or in time to get ready for work and not be late.  Of course forgetting that you have not run in warm temperatures since last summer and coming home a salty, dehydrated mess is part of the vacation fun.

9. Organize the closet.  Not fun or exciting, but Goodwill will get some donations and when I do have money then I can buy some more clothes.  I will be going to a race expo next weekend and a girl can never have too many running shoes or running attire!

10. Relax!  This is the hardest for me to do.  I like a schedule and lots of activity.  The idea of just sitting on the couch with the dog and vegetating goes against every fiber in my nature, but under husband's orders that's what I did yesterday.  The migraine helped with keeping me off my feet and the horrible day time television helped with inducing some much needed napping.

No comments:

Post a Comment