Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Marathon Journey Begins:180 Days of Full Crazy

There are 180 days until the Albany Marathon. There are 180 days before I earn a coveted 26.2 sticker for my car. There are 180 days before I run a marathon in our new home town. There are 180 days full of self doubt that I can run a marathon. There are 180 days of training ahead to counter the self doubt that I'm going to run a marathon (for real this time)!

This time is different. I have taken steps to ensure I will make it to the start line and to the finish line. I have joined a training group for the Albany Marathon. I put my money where my feet shall go by joining this group. My first run was Saturday and I'm with group six (my favorite number). The race director is in my group and she is very reassuring this is the perfect first marathon! None of the people in the group look like elite runners, all have jobs and kids so, if they can do it so can I!

The course is flat and actually runs down our new street. It will take me five, ten minutes tops to get to the starting line and even shorter to get home. There's a seven hour time limit which sounds just about right. Friends and family can come cheer me on then come back to our new house to celebrate the fact I will no longer be a marathon hopeful, but a marathon completer!

180 days is a school year away and I've done pleanty of school years! I'll be posting updates on my training for the next 180 days if your interested in watching me be full crazy instead of half crazy!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment