Sunday, September 8, 2013

173 Days Left and a Swollen Foot

This week's long run was 5miles. Saturday was a wasted day at the doctor's office so, I had to run it by myself today. 173 days seems like a long time away, but in marathon training at my age and medical issues, I'm not sure I can afford an time off to nurse an injury.  So, of course that means my right foot decides to show itself, and not in a good way! Not sure if my ankle brace for the bone fragments has become obsolete, or if I stepped wrong, but there's brusing and a bone sticking out.

Now for most people I'm sure a bruised foot with a lump after running is a trip to the doctor, but since I spent yesterday there I'm really not in the mood to hear "ice and rest!" I'm also not in the mood to hear "why run a marathon, " so I'm treating my foot at home! I do have a doctorate degree after all (okay, so its not a medical degree but it should count for something, right)!  I've manipulated the bone somewhere close to back in place, and as you see in the picture I'm icing it. If that doesn't do the trick I have a couple orthopedic boots to select from. This is not my first rodeo with orthopedic issues and I have amassed a great deal of equipment to refrain from giving money, that could be spent on a race or new running outfit, to a doctor!

So here I sit! I'm making steak for supper and going to bed early. I hear that proteins help you heal faster! There are two thirty minute runs on slate for later this week so, say a little prayer that my foot is ready. There are only 173 more days until my first marathon and I need to be in tip top shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment