Monday, March 4, 2013

I Don't Want to Talk About It

I have epilepsy and I don't really want to talk about it. I argued with the doctor at length that my involuntary muscle twitching had to have another root cause, but she finally told me there were a lot worse things to have. In fact, I'd like to ignore the fact I have it, but the damn thing keeps twitching so, recently I have had to explain what is going on to people who don't normally ask such questions. Kids are pretty observant too. They may miss the due date for the current project, but they sure do see my eye twitching or my hands.

It's probably pretty shocking that I don't want to talk about the disease that is such a big part of my family life. You want to talk about Elijah's seizures? Sure, all day. His seizures are easy to explain, are well controlled by medication and happen mostly in the mornings here at home. Want to talk about migraines? I can go on for days. Hey, want to discuss my bruised toe? I even have pictures....

Want to discuss adult onset of generalised epilepsy non specific? No? Me either but inquiring minds (and legitimatly caring people) want to know. Most people want to know if they can help, or if they hurt, or if I can drive, or if I'll do something really cool seizure wise. Here are the answers to these common questions. Thanks, but there isn't much you can do. The seizures (or twitching as we call it at home) doesn't hurt, its just annoying. I can drive as my alertness level is still present. The only cool thing I do seizure wise is... well nothing, but I got over being cool by the first week teaching.

I know I should wear an alert, but I'm not sure what to put on it. Generalized epilipsey doesn't seem very helpful to emergency staff. I know at some point I'll have to wear one.  I know there will be more questions the moment I put it Maybe by then I'll want to talk about it, but right now I' ll pass. Ask questions and I'll answer them, but I really don't have a lot to say. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment