Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Battle With the Scale

When I was younger I never looked at the scale.  It was embarrassing to step on it not because I was fat, but because I wasn't.  I weighed 65 pounds well into middle school and never weighed more than 105 through freshman year of college.  When your friends are on the latest fad diet the last thing you want to draw attention to is you're not putting on any weight even eating a whole pizza a day. I never use to worry about my weight, but times are changing and the scale is once again something I don't want to deal step on!

Until recently, the only time I monitored my weight was when I was pregnant. At my heaviest I was 210 (pregnant with Zeke), the rest of the time my weight fluctuated between 125-135. I only know this because of doctors visits, but last year our insurance started mandating bmi and weight screenings. My bmi was fine but my weight was 140. I got a lecture and material on diet and exercise.  I wanted to cry. I didn't think I was fat, but my insurance company and doctor did! Suddenly the scale mattered and the more I stepped on it the heavier I got.

My current weight fluctuates between 145-155. I'm not really sure why and neither are the doctors. I have made some changes to my diet and intend to run more this year than last year. I have even contemplated giving up coke a cola, but my students and family have begged me not to! Funny how no one begs you not to get on a scale, but I think that's exactly what they should do! If other members of the house didn't need it I'd throw it out myself because it feels like the constant checking of my weight's ups and downs is the real ten pounds the insurance company says I need to lose!

No comments:

Post a Comment