Monday, November 19, 2012

The Migraine Makes a Comeback

Today marks three days with a migraine. Three days prior I was on a two week reprieve from migraine and for the first time in two years I got to see what a normal brain and life were like. Can I say it was a wonderful experience? Is this how the rest of the world lives, because what a fantastic way to feel! I'd like to feel this way more often and now I know that there has to be a way to have more weeks like the previous two instead of having days like the last three. So, I have been looking over the previous two weeks for enlightenment and more migraine free days. Here's what I discovered.

My brain, like many of the Autistic students I teach, must follow a schedule. I'm not fond of the dictated schedule which is up by 5:40 AM, regular meals and Cokes (3 to 4 a day), 30-60 minutes of exercise and bed by ten! I also have time eat a regular intervals. This has put on some extra pounds, which I'm really not fond of. I'm not surprised by this food thing as I've read countless articles about food and migraines, but have you seen a diet plan that lets you drink three to four cokes a day and a chocolate glazed donut for breakfast? (Aspertaine in diet coke gives me a migraine and five kids makes for a small bladder that water runs through quickly). I'm not sure about my Lamotrigine doing much either. Research has shown it's effective for about one percent of people with migraines, and during my two weeks free of migraine I was only taking two a day instead of my regular seven or eight. This is in part to still struggling with learning to use the alarms on my phone and in part to having a cold and taking s ton of meds for that.

So, that's what I came up with. Tomorrow I will be waking up at sixish on a break, stop tracking calories and walk/run. I'm hoping that does the trick for another two weeks, but if it doesn't that chocolate donut and coke for breakfast is going to taste mighty fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment